How To Clean Your Vinyl Graphic Wraps
You are proud of the investment you’ve made on your full vehicle wrap. And it looks so good on your vehicle! So, it is natural that you don’t want to waste your time or money cleaning it improperly. The best way to clean a wrap is the old-fashioned way, by hand! You may not always have time for a detailed hand wash, but you still want to give your graphics the care they deserve.
Here we provide 3 tips on how to take care of your vehicle graphics:
3 Proven ways to clean your premium vinyl car wrap
1. The Classical Method (Most Recommended)
You can hand wash your wrapped car just like you would any other. Make sure to rinse first and start cleaning from the top of the car to the bottom with a soft cloth or a synthetic or natural sponge. Always avoid unnecessary scrubbing and always rinse thoroughly with clean water. Allow the water to dry naturally or blot dry with a chamois or a soft non-abrasive towel, being careful not to lift the film edges.
Experts recommend the detergent be a dedicated car wash product or a mild detergent. The cleaner should be free of strong solvents or alcohols and should have no abrasive components. Look for a pH balance between 3 and 11.
2. Automatic Car Wash Method
When using an automatic car wash we recommend you skip the wax to avoid wax that contains petroleum distillate. Petroleum distillate can damage your wrap. Absolutely never use the automated brush wash. The brushes may catch the edge of the decal or graphics and may cause some scratches in your wrap.
3. Pressure Washer Method: (Least Recommended Method)
- Use a lower pressure–below 1200 psi.
- Be mindful of using really hot water. Below 180 degrees F is recommended.
- Think opposites. Direct the nozzle perpendicular to the graphic to avoid lifting the edge of the graphics or any chipping.
- Wider nozzles are recommended. Make sure it at least has a 40-degree angle spray.
- Don’t get really close to the car and spray around the edges of the graphics. Keep the nozzles a foot or so away from any edges.
Keep your premium car wrap looking its best by giving proper care when cleaning.
Pro Tip: For difficult to remove spots, such as bird droppings, bug splatter or tree sap, try to soften it by soaking for several minutes with hot, soapy water then rinse thoroughly.
Trust Big Dog Wraps for all your Premium Vehicle Wraps and expert care tips!